Jennifer Bradtke, Psy.D., CGP, HSPP, CPsychol
In the story of our lives, it's helpful to pause occasionally. See what's working, what's not, and what really matters. If something is not quite right, we can make changes that work for us.
The inspiration for ChangeWorks began brewing years ago. I was walking through a cute boutique shop in my Chicago neighborhood when I came across an eraser. Yep, a simple rubber eraser inspired me. It had "Smart Women Make Changes" printed on it, and the words spoke to me. It was such a powerful phrase and a metaphor for how I approach life. Nothing in life is perfect, but if something isn't working, it's ok to change it. The thing with rubber erasers is that you can never fully get all the etchings and smudges off the paper. But, IMHO, that gives the story character. It is the underlying wisdom that comes from making mistakes and missteps and moving forward while learning along the way.
The Power of Moving in the Direction of Your Values
As a Licensed Clinical Psychologist, I LOVE helping my clients get past the shoulda, woulda, couldas and create the life that they want to live. How do I help you do this? My approach to therapy is kind, genuine, collaborative, with a bit of humor. I work to create a supportive and safe environment so you can explore what's working and what's not in your life. Together we create a plan. You’ll learn skills to cope, accept what can't change, and then act.
I believe therapy is a working partnership. I check in occasionally to see if we shift approaches as well as provide a little push with encouragement if you are feeling stuck. Working with me, you’ll likely find yourself having an occasional laugh, leaving a session with a podcast or book recommendation, and an achievable task that will help you inch toward your goals.
I wholeheartedly believe in this approach and the power of pausing, reflecting, and moving in the direction of your values. That is how ChangeWorks came to be!
I had spent years helping organizations build programs, reimagine offerings, doing the admin stuff…. While that was good, after all, who doesn't love a great spreadsheet, the part that I really loved was working with clients to stop being ‘stuck’ in the old ways and start building a fulfilling life one step at a time.
My Ideal Client
You are diligent about keeping on top of things and it’s gotten you pretty far. Yet, you find yourself asking “I’m running myself ragged for this?”
You’ve ticked all the boxes but still is not enough. You keep asking yourself “There’s got to be something more, right?”
You find yourself on this never-ending treadmill and when you achieve one goal, you’re already on to the next…. You believed everything would be better when you achieved this next goal, but you still feel unsatisfied, unhappy, not enough… It’s impacting your relationships, your sleep… your health. I help those trapped in this cycle start finding joy in life again. My ideal client knows something isn’t working and is wanting to explore a different way of living.
Areas of Focus
- Anxiety: It’s the pit in your stomach, the low hum in your chest, it’s the constant overthinking. Anxiety may have even helped you get to where you are in your life, but it can be draining. I use evidence-based techniques to help you address the anxiety that is starting to run your life.
- Perfectionism: You have high standards and just want whatever it is to be done the ‘right’ way. Maybe you didn’t even get to starting because you’ve been thinking about how to do it or maybe you think if you have it all planned out it will help you get the job done right. (Bring out the colored pens and highlighters!) You fear failing. If it’s perfect, then no one can fault you, you’ll be ‘enough’. But nothing truly is perfect, so you find yourself constantly trying to prove your worth. Learn how to overcome your perfectionism and start seeing your worth.
- Insomnia: 3am and staring at the ceiling again? You’re exhausted but just can’t sleep. Your brain won’t turn off! It’s been like this for weeks or maybe you’ve struggled for years. To help my clients with insomnia, I use CBT-I, the most effective treatment for insomnia. You’ll learn how to address insomnia and how to effectively manage it if it arises in the future, without medication!
- Grief: Grief can rock us to our core. It’s not just the loss of a loved one where grief shows up. It’s the feeling that arises with the loss of a relationship, plans for the future, or a job. A medical diagnosis or a change in our identity can leave us longing for something that is no longer here. Working with our losses helps in moving forward.
- Eating Disorders: Whether you aren’t sure if you have an eating disorder or struggled with one for years, there’s hope. I believe that recovery is possible. I have years of experience treating adults struggling with Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating Disorder, Other Specified Feeding Eating Disorders (OSFED), Avoidant Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (ARFID), disordered eating, and related body image disorders.
- Veterinarian Well-Being: I’ve improved the mental health of veterinarians and vet students for almost a decade now. I truly understand the unique challenges that veterinarians face and the work culture that veterinary medicine brings.
What else can you expect from me?
I'm a lover of learning, information, and podcasts. This comes out in my therapy practice as I will often share research, articles, podcast episodes, and other resources to supplement our work. I believe in the importance of savoring the little joys in life like practicing gratitude for the foam on my latte. I also recognize the power of perspective. Growing up in the suburbs of Chicago and living in various countries over the years has taught me we may not initially see things as they truly are and that sometimes pausing, taking a few deep breaths, and shifting your perspective can open an entirely different experience.
Where am I based?
Seeing clients exclusively online allows me to work with individuals based in the US, the UK, or anywhere! My most recent move is just outside London in beautiful Surrey. I’m still in awe of the breathtaking views of the Surrey Hills and amazing hikes. Virginia Water and Silent Pool are two of my favorites! And I can get lost for days in The British Museum! As an online London-based therapist, I also see clients throughout the UK and love helping them work through life challenges.
Licensure and Certifications
- Registered Clinical Psychologist: United Kingdom: Health and Care Professions Council #PYL 38344
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist: Illinois: #071.007336
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Health Service Provider in Psychology: Indiana, #20042723A
- Florida Telehealth Provider #495
- National Register of Health Service Psychologists: #52059
- Certified Group Psychotherapist, International Board of Group Psychotherapists: #66870
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Certified Teacher, UCSD
- EPassport/APIT, Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards: #4900
- Doctorate, Clinical Psychology, Illinois School of Professional Psychology, Chicago, IL
- Masters, Clinical Psychology, Illinois School of Professional Psychology, Chicago, IL
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, Law & Society, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN